President & CEO, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Miami
Gale Nelson was born in Lincoln, Nebraska and grew up in Toledo, Ohio where he began his pursuit of personal and professional success. Gale has worked his way up the ladder the hard way—always confident, determined and focused on his goals and building strong personal relationships. Gale earned his Bachelor of Business Administration in Corporate Finance from the University of Toledo (Toledo, OH) and his Master of Science in Management and Administration of Educational Programs from Nova Southeastern University (Davie, FL). Gale has earned eight doctoral hours in Non-Profit Leadership at Colorado Technical University (Colorado Springs, CO).
Some of Gale’s accomplishments include:
• December 2021 - Children’s Trust David Lawrence “Champions for Children” Award (Ceremony to be held June 2022)
• April 2021 - SFBJ 2021 South Florida Ultimate CEO Honoree
• February 2021 - Power 250 List-South Florida Business Journal
• October 2018 - Selected by Big Brothers Big Sisters of America for the Nonprofit Leadership program at Boston College.
• June 2018 - Selected by the Harvard Business School to participate in the Strategic Perspectives in Non-Profit Management for CEO’s from around the world.
• March 2016 - Recognized as one of the 12 Good Men of South Florida by the Ronald McDonald House
• February 2014 - Recognized as one of South Florida's Most Powerful Professionals in Business and industry by Legacy Miami Magazine.
Gale’s professional career includes over 27 years of non-profit management and leadership experience. Currently, he is the President & CEO of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Miami, and since joining the team in July 2006, he has played a significant role in the growth and development of the agency’s mentoring and fund development programs. In December 2021, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Miami was awarded the Pinnacle award and the Large Agency of the Year from Big Brothers Big Sisters of America. Prior to joining Big Brothers Big Sisters, he served as Executive Vice-President and Chief Operating Officer at a moderate risk residential school for court adjudicated boys for twelve years.
Gale is a highly effective public speaker and the consummate strategist who provides solution-focused leadership. His faith and his family continue to keep him grounded in helping youth and families.
Overview: Violence has eradiated our communities for years from domestic violence within the homes, violence throughout the streets, youth fighting in the classrooms, and now killings on our college campuses. During this workshop, panel experts will discuss solutions for violence prevention so we can remain safe and healthy throughout all stages of our lives.